One of the most common things I see are students arriving on my course baffled, confused and lost to what they are meant to eat anymore. They’ve seen nutritionists, read numerous food blogs and endless books, all giving them different information, none of which matches and barely any have a lasting impact. Most are so overwhelmed by the whole experience that their love of food and cooking has been replaced by anxiety and their connection to their own body and what it may actually need is long gone
I have spent much of my life researching this topic. Not just for my work but for myself personally. I was once the same, lost and overwhelmed, and determined to find a way to eat and connect with my own body that worked for me and actually felt good..
What I’ve discovered….. is there is no such thing as the perfect diet! YUP Really. Stop the press…It simply does not exist!
There is no diet that is going to fix everything so let’s throw that old hen out the window right now.
We are all unique and different. We are different sizes, shapes, sexes, live different lifestyles and all have unique goals. If we are so unique, then how could one way possibly fit all.
You might think that it’s strange to hear this from me, whose qualifications come from one of these ‘said trends’.
Yet I have always believed on the principle that finding our own way and learning to listen and trust our own body is more important than anything else. Learn the knowledge, study, becoming informed and then take what you like and leave the rest. Freedom.
I have never told any of my students what to eat or to give anything up unless they have a health issue they are dealing with. Instead I teach them how to listen to themselves and to start strengthening and empowering their own relationships to food and how they nourish themselves. Sort this out and I promise you eating well and finding the way for you, will come naturally.
Of course there are foods that benefit our health more than others. But if we break it down these guidelines are really quite simple. Within these there could, and should, be much room for freedom, enjoyment and just a plain old love for food and eating.
Eating healthy won’t make any difference to our eating habits. Ouch!
I could tell you that Miso is the most amazing superfood ever (which is not far from the truth) and you could go and eat Miso 12 times a day for the next 6 months just because it’s ‘healthy’, but let me ask you…is this really ‘healthy’?
In my opinion, it’s all about balance. Balance between incorporating a more healthy diet with room for freedom AND building a loving relationship with food.
Here are some guidelines that are obtainable, simple and really supportive:
1. EAT REAL FOOD – real plants, vegetables, fruits, seasonal produce, wholegrains, nuts & seeds, beans & pulses, sea vegetables, natural sweeteners. This stuff has been growing for thousands of years and doesn’t need a factory to create it. If you can’t understand the process that made it then don’t put it in your body.
2. QUALITY IS KEY – Treat yourself well and get good quality produce. We are literally what we eat, so let’s only eat the good stuff.
3. NOURISHING YOU – The relationship you have with food and your body is one of the most intimate ones you’ll have in your lifetime. Put some love into you and you’ll want to feed yourself good food naturally.
4. CHECK INGREDIENTS – Just because it says ‘Free From’ on the pack does not mean it is good for you. Check the ingredients on the back, if you don’t know what they are don’t put it in your body.
5. HOME COOKING – There’s nothing, NOTHING better than home-cooked food. Get cooking and everything else will feel better. Just like grandma would say.
6. 80/20 – 80% follow these guidelines and the remaining 20% do whatever you want! Without guilt or judgement and most importantly enjoy yourself!
Nicky is a Certified Macrobiotic Nutritionist, Counsellor and Chef who specialises in empowered balanced health that comes from the inside out.
You can visit her website for more here
Nicky will be demonstrating on the Fine Food Live stage at Speciality & Fine Food Fair.