Ingredients (Serves 4-5):
1/2 Medium Red Cabbage (Very finely sliced or shredded)
1/3 Medium Chinese Cabbage (Very finely sliced and shredded)
1 Large Carrot (Peeled and cut very finely into strips)
1/2 Medium Cucumber (Peeled, Deseeded and cut very finely into strips)
1/2 Red Pepper (Cut into fine strips)
1 Cup Fresh Coriander (Roughly chopped)
1/2 Cup Toasted Raw Peanuts
1 Large Red Chili (Finely sliced)
150g Vermicelli Rice Noodles (Soaked in boiling water until soft, then drained)
4 Medium Limes
3 Tbls Toasted Sesame Oil
3 Tbls Brown Rice Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
250g Tempeh (Sliced into triangles and halved through the centre so thinner width)
Fine Sea Salt
Tempeh Teriyaki Marinade:
1/2 Cup Tamari,
1/4 Cup Brown Rice Syrup or Maple,
1/4 Cup Water
1/2 Cup SF Smooth Peanut Butter
1/4 Cup Brown Rice Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 Cup Brown Rice Syrup or Maple Syrup
2 Tbls Tamari
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Garlic Clove
1 Pinch Sea Salt
1/4 Cup Water
- Pre-heat oven to 180degrees Celsius
- Mix you marinade together in a roasting dish and add your sliced tempeh triangles to marinade for at least 10min.
- Now in a large salad bowl add the shredded red cabbage and the Chinese cabbage and 2 pinches of fine sea salt. Now with your hands, massage the veg really firmly for a few minutes until they begin to break down and become softer. You will know as they will reduce in size dramatically. This is to take the rawness out of the veg and make them more easily digestible.
- Now add your finely sliced carrots, cucumber, pepper, coriander, chilli and peanuts.
- Also add the toasted sesame oil, squeeze in the juice of all the limes, the vinegar and mix everything together really well.
- Now take your soaked and drained vermicelli noodles and cut them roughly with scissors and add them to the slaw and mix in really really well. Now leave for everything to soak up the flavours and to blend together.
- Back to your tempeh: Pour out the marinade into a jug or jar and you can keep this now for a dipping sauce or to marinade another vegetarian protein again. If you use this to marinade fish then delicious but you cannot use it again. Just a note to self!
- Once the tempeh has been drained add them to the oven and roast for 10min on 1 side and 5min on the other.
- While they're in the oven add all your satay sauce ingredients to a blender or nutribullet and blend until creamy.
- Now serve your slaw noodle salad in whatever bowl you want, add the baked golden tempeh triangles on top and drizzle satay sauce over the top generously.
Nicky is a Certified Macrobiotic Nutritionist, Counsellor and Chef who specialises in empowered balanced health that comes from the inside out.
You can visit her website for more here
Nicky will be demonstrating on the Fine Food Live stage at Speciality & Fine Food Fair.